16. Some animals communicate with one another by means of cries: for example, many birds utter ______ calls at the approach of danger.
A. warned B. to warn C. warning D. warn
17. We anticipate ______ the first phase of the project will take approximately two weeks to complete.
A. that B. which C. there D. those
18. New Zealand has now gone 101 days without any community transmission of the coronavirus, and life in the country has largely returned to ______ — an experience far different from the havoc that the virus is causing elsewhere in the world.
A. normal B. ordinary C. general D. common
19. Whenever a big company ______ a small one, the product almost always gets worse.
A. gets on with B. cuts down C. takes over D. puts up with
20. The manager is so arbitrary and self-centered that he often makes rude remarks ______ other people’s feelings.
A. on account of B. in quest of
C. regardless of D. catch sight of